Watch: Hong Kong police detain man over video of protesters
The man in the video above has been detained by police after he reportedly filmed himself and others attacking and destroying property in Hong Kong, according to a report by The Washington Post.
The unidentified man, who was filmed in Hongki Wan, a suburb of the city, appeared to be in a “conflict zone” where he had to intervene when his neighbors began attacking his property, the Post said.
According to the Post, police arrested the man on Sunday after he allegedly told them that he recorded the attacks and posted them on Facebook.
Police said that the man was not in custody and was expected to appear in court on Monday.
The video has garnered a lot of attention since it was posted online, prompting protesters in Hong Kowloon to hold a sit-in protest in front of the police station on Sunday evening.
Protesters also gathered outside the offices of a Hong Kong film company, with one protester using a megaphone to call on Hong Kong government officials to step in.
A protester holds up a megahit during a protest outside the headquarters of a film company in Hongkong, Hong Kong on Sunday, May 23, 2017.
The film company said it had received multiple threats from Hong Kong residents in the past week, and it had been asked to immediately remove the film.
“The film industry is not just the source of our livelihood, but also the source for our freedom, our dignity and our future,” director Simon Chow said in a statement.
“We will not allow the police to dictate to us what we can or cannot film, let alone what we must do with our footage.
It is our right to film, it is our duty to share and share.”
The Hong Kong Police Department told the Post that the department had received complaints about the video, which the department said was uploaded to a website that “could be used to incite violence.”
“We are investigating and we will take action if necessary,” said police spokesperson Leung Kwok-hung.